lunes, 16 de abril de 2018

A Marriage of Convenience

By Darryl Comstock


                  A prosperous businessman, a Mr. Warm, was entertaining a new client in a distant city one evening. After a sumptuous meal, they talked quietly as they waited for dessert to be served. The talk
suddenly changed from commerce and industry to more personal matters as the client, Mr. Seeker, laid down his napkin and asked, Tell me, Mr. Warm, are you married?
                  Oh, yes, the businessman quickly replied. I certainly am, and a look of smug satisfaction spread over his countenance. And you?
                  Mr. Seeker looked a little downcast. “No, I'm not, he replied But, and his face brightened, I am interested; that is, when the right girl comes along. Do you recommend it?
                  By all means. It is the only way to live. By the way, my first name is Luke, he said. May I call you Earnest?
                  Why certainly, Luke, replied the client. Tell me, since you advocate married life, can you give me some reasons? Why would it be an advantage for me to become a married man? After all, I have a certain amount of freedom now that I would lose if I committed my life to another person.
                  Give you reasons? Mr. Warm looked puzzled, hesitated thoughtfully, and then said, Well, for one thing, it is the thing to do. Most people are married. In fact, most of the very best people are married. As a married person, you find yourself accepted. It is a real advantage in the business world.
                  Mr. Seeker looked disappointed. Is that all? he asked.
                  Well, replied his dinner companion, there is a certain sense of security in knowing that you have a home to go to, that someone cares for you if you get into trouble.
                  Mr. Seeker's frown turned suddenly to a smile. Yes, that's more of what I had in mind—someone to care for you. Tell me about her.
                  About who?
                  Your wife, of course.
                  My wife? Mr. Warm looked blank at first, but then quickly added, Oh, yes, my wife. Well, of course, she's a very good person, a very good person. He repeated the phrase with emphasis, nodding his head solemnly.
                  It must be wonderful to be in love, said Mr. Seeker a bit wistfully.
                  In love? Mr. Warm looked puzzled. Just what do you mean?
His new friend felt suddenly embarrassed. Perhaps his question had been too personal. He finally managed to blurt out, “Well, you—you do love your wife, don't you?
                  Oh, yes, of course. Mr. Warm replied with an uneasy gesture. All husbands love their wives.
                  And she loves you?
                  Of course, a great deal. At least that's what I am told.  This last remark was somewhat puzzling to Mr. Seeker, but not wishing to offend, he decided to let it drop. After a pause he stated. You must miss her terribly while you are gone on these business trips.
                  No, not so much, replied Mr. Warm, matter-of-factly. The important thing, you know, is the marriage itself. Just knowing that one is married is enough.
                  Mr. Seeker found it hard to understand how a person could be perfectly content about being separated from the one he loved, and he decided to pursue the matter further. How often do you get home to see your wife? he asked.
                  Home? I've never been home.
                  You've never been home? Mr. Seeker was incredulous.
                  No, I've already told you, the thing that counts is being married, Mr. Warm said with just a trace of irritation in his voice.
                  But, Luke, his companion exclaimed, don't you want to go home? Don't you ever plan on going home?
                  Oh, yes, I'll go home someday, I suppose. Everybody does. I am told that it is a very nice place. But in the meantime, I believe in enjoying life to the full.” He took in his surroundings—the plush restaurant where attractive waitresses moved among the richly arrayed tables, serving the finest in food and drink.
                  “But don't you ever have the desire to be with her?”
                  “Who? You mean my wife? Oh, I suppose that will be nice when the time comes,” replied Mr. Warm as he glanced quickly upward.
                  Mr. Seeker was having difficulty finding very much that was appealing about this kind of marriage. Maybe he just didn't understand. He decided to ask another question. “I suppose you and your wife visit frequently on the phone,” he said.
                  “No, almost never,” replied Mr. Warm, suppressing a yawn. “We used to talk on the phone right after we were first married, but then business picked up, and I just don't seem to have the time anymore. About the only time call now is when I need something, and believe me, that isn't very often. I can pretty well take care of myself.” He glanced impatiently at his watch. “I wonder when that dessert is coming.”
                  “But what about letters? Doesn't she ever write to you?” Mr. Seeker was desperate now, trying to find something in his host's relationship with his wife that would reveal genuine love and companionship.
                  “Letters? Why, yes, she's a good wife, as I've told you. Writes regularly.”
                  Mr. Seeker looked relieved for the first time in some minutes. “I'll bet you look forward to them.”
                  “No, not particularly. The fact is, I never read them anymore. They are all the same. Once you've read one, you've read them all.”
During the course of the conversation it would have been evident to an onlooker that Mr. Warm was becoming increasingly bored with the topic under discussion, but then his eyes lighted up with sudden interest, and he found it difficult to contain his enthusiasm as he leaned toward Mr. Seeker and said in a low voice, “Don't look now, Earnest, but here comes the dessert, and get a load of the dish that's bringing it! Now take a lesson from the old pro. I'll have her name and phone number before she brings us the check.”
                  “But, Luke,” Mr. Seeker sputtered in surprise, “is this what it means to be married?”
                  “Quiet!” Mr. Warm hissed, and then with all the charm he could muster he turned to the approaching. Waitress and said, “Hey, that dessert looks good, honey, but I'll bet it isn't half as sweet as you!”



Insight, January 2, 1979

No hay comentarios.: