viernes, 20 de abril de 2018

As the Spirit Moves

By Bruce Manners


            “Are you awake?”
            “Huh?”
            “I said, are you awake?”
            “No.”
            “Don’t be such a grump.”
            “Huh?”
I want to talk to you.”
            “Huh?”
Come on, wake up properly.”
            “I’m awake. I’m awake.”
            “I’ve been thinking about how yesterday Peter praised those who had given money and gifts for the poor.  He said the Spirit of God was at work in the heart of the giver.”
            “So?”
            “Well, something’s happening.  Did I tell you that Benaniah sold that corner block on the main street, shop and all--and gave all the money to John?”
            “That’s nothing.  I heard that Shimei--you know, Skinflint Shimei--has sold half his farm and turned over the cash.  I can hardly believe it; he used to watch every penny.  I can remember the saying people used to have about things being as thin as Shemei's sandals.  He used to wear them even after they had worn through.  He would rather cut his feet than pay a penny.”   
            “Look, Ananias, I’ve been thinking that perhaps we ought to give something toward this work--to show our approval.”
            “I guess with men like Shimei giving so much, if we don’t do the same, they’ll start calling us skinflints.”
            “That’s exactly what I mean.  We’ve worked hard to gain our reputation for honesty and generosity in Jerusalem.  We can’t let it slip now.”
            “Sapphira, my sweet, I have the answer.  It’s so simple!  That stony field we have in the Hinnom Valley--you know, the one that’s too stony to grow grass and doesn’t quite reach the river.  We could sell that.”
            “But that’s not very valuable.”
            “That’s just the point.  It’s still a field.  We won’t get much money for it, but if we donate what we get, we’ll be looked upon as loyal, willing givers.  People soon forget how much is given, but they remember who gave.”
            “It sounds good.  I think Peter and the others would be pleased.  It would certainly show that our hearts are in the right place.”
            “And we won’t be losing much.  I haven’t known what to do with that field for a long time.”
            “You’re so clever!  That must be why I married you.”
            “What about my handsome features?”
            “Ananias?”
            “Huh?”
            “What would you do if the field sold for a lot more than you are thinking?”
            “Oh, I don’t know.  It won’t.”
            “Ananias?”
            “Huh?”
            “Isn’t it great the way the Lord’s Spirit is working in us all?”

            “Mmm.”

No hay comentarios.: